Hi my Loves! You know how I do!!! I don’t post for a few weeks and then I bombard you with posts.
This past week I had the pleasure of collaborating with the young, handsome and up and rising, YouTuber – bello_kevy! Finally! Please go subscribe and follow. Plug Plug!
Anyway, I was doubtful if it would turn out good. Shame on me because all his other videos are A-mazing! Anyway, we decided last minute to head over to Martell’s Tiki Bar and do a little video blogging about life in my 40s. His mom, my BFF, joined us! I’ll make sure to add link below so you guys can go check it out.
I have to say that Kevin had some great questions and I sense a follow up video because there are so many things we can talk about as far as life in our 40s. He wanted to call it “This is 40!” Considering I will be exiting this decade soon, I suggested “This is 40-something!” but you know kids. LOL.
Anyway regardless, he asked some insightful questions which is inspiring to me as an adult to hear this from a young man in his 20s. We talked about what 40 means to us, aging (gracefully), the downsides of life changes, and how we party in our 40s. Oh! we also highlight my new boobs! LOL. Thanks Kevin for the boob plug.
So I felt I wanted to come and blog about this and add some lessons I’ve learned in my 40s with you all and hopefully you guys will share with me too. I think in every decade we learn stuff. Sometimes we repeat the same mistakes, but my hope is that as we age, we learn and grow and spread our emotional, spiritual wings.
So what has 40 meant to me?
Here goes. Me and my lists.
- 40 to me means that I have finally settled into myself and my own skin. I feel like the dust has settled — in my professional life, personal life and spiritual life.What did I learn in my 40s?
- 40 has meant becoming freer and liberated from all the bullshit society says I should be doing and being.
- 40 has meant that it really is just a number. I have felt just a young spirited and energetic as I did in my 20s and 30s. Hangovers suck at 40. Takes longer to recuperate but overall, I kind of feel the same.
- 40 has meant finding my voice. Not the young aggressive angry voice of my 20s and 30s, but a calmer, more confident voice. I learned how to express myself without being angry, and learned that you get so much more with honey. Finally. Of course, not all the time. Every now and then the only voice that works is the bitch voice! So I keep her on reserve.
- 40 has meant not giving up on myself. Being more forgiving of myself. More loving. Kinder to me.
And what did I learn? In my 40s, I have learned…
- to accept that I am not ONE thing. I am not just a mother, or daughter, or teacher. I am not just a woman or Latina. None of these define me on their own, but rather all the roles I play make up who I am as a person. I’ve also realized that I am always evolving. Who I am today is not who I will be next month or next year, or even tomorrow. And that’s ok.
- not to settle in any area of my life, especially relationships. I deserve the best from people, just as I have learned to wake up everyday with the intention of giving my best. Yes, sometimes I fall of the wagon, because we are not perfect, but I get right back up and try again.
- I am not perfect, but I can make daily intentions to strive to be better.
- Broken hearts heal and you come out stronger. I have never felt such pain like the pain I felt in this decade after having my heart broken by the one person I never thought would deceive me. It hurt like hell. And I remember thinking I would never be good again, whole again, confident again. Guess what? I’m good. Time heals E V E R Y T H I N G! Family and friends help too!
- Forgive others. Hanging on to anger and hate is so draining and damaging only to yourself. So forgive and let go and move on.
My 40s have been good to me! Through it all, trials and tribulations, financial woes, breakups, illnesses, I can’t complain.
I still have half a year to go in my 40s, so I am sure there will be more lessons to be learned before I exit this decade.
But I have to tell you, if any of you are approaching 40 and/or sad about aging, don’t be. I honestly believe that life only gets better!!! I am so looking forward to what 50 brings!!!
Like promised here is my first video collaboration with YouTuber bello_kevy! Make sure to go show him some love too!
Thanks for stopping by loves!