Hello My Loves∼ Can we talk about Mother Nature?!?! It’s about time this weather started clearing up. There is just something about the Spring that evokes feelings of rebirth, cleansing, and renewal. It’s in that spirit that I decided to do a little spring cleaning of my home, body, and soul.
Of course I have tried to come up with some simple and inexpensive ways to do this because Spring also comes on the heels of winter (HOLIDAYS) and we know we are all a little financially challenged around this time. LOL!!!
I’m just going to share some of the things I’ve done so far for my home, body and soul for zero to little dollars to start that cleansing process. I also feel that after the whole “new year, new me” shenanigans, this is probably around the time that people have hit a plateau or fallen off the wagon so this is a great way to reenergize and start over!
- A fresh coat of paint goes a long way. I focused on my living room first since that’s the entry point. What a difference it was to go from a stone color to a very pale gray. I hunt for “oops” paint from Home Depot, so I was able to pick up two one-gallon cans for $9.00 each. I did pay someone to paint. However, painting is super therapeutic and a great weekend project if you want to do it yourself.
- Throw stuff out! If you haven’t used it in the last 6 months (I know some people say a year), but really just donate it. Declutter your closets and your drawers. Throw out all those single pairs of socks – they are NEVER coming back from laundry hell!
- Purchase new linens for your bathroom and bedroom, new sheets, towels, shower curtain make small differences and brighten things up a bit. If your towels are still good try to incorporate a second color – for example, my old towels were shades of gray, so I went and picked up a couple of white and blush pink towels on sale at Target. I took my old towels and recycled them to clean up, mop, and for car.
- I had a lot of dark bronze home decor, towel rack, three tiered shelf in bathroom, small mirror to name a few. Instead of chucking them I picked spray painted them a brushed gold and they look like completely new pieces.
- Go through your kitchen cabinets and linen closet. Check for expiration dates, old sunscreen, those hotel samples and throw them out!
These are some simple things you can do to start the decluttering process in preparation for Spring which leads to Summer. And I know sometimes it is so overwhelming. If you’re anything like me I want to do it all at once, but I didn’t want to clutter my mind more, right?
So I made a list of all the things I want to do at home and I tackle large projects on the weekend and smaller ones during the week. My bathroom is done. Check it out!! I love it and it probably cost me less than $75 bucks to revamp. (I’ll blog about it later!)
I’ve done things in the rest of apartment but haven’t finished yet, tackling my room this weekend, then kitchen, and lastly my living room.! It is such a great feeling walking into my brighter, cleaner more springier space!
OH! One more simple thing you can do at home – REARRANGE furniture. You’d be surprised I switched a couple pieces up and all of a sudden I see the whole space in a new light!
Now let’s talk about decluttering your body, literally! LOL
Listen we are on the heels of the holidays, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s day. And for me, also my 50th! So the eating has been the worst. So I decided to go on keto not too long ago, just to try and curb the carb and sugar cravings.
Of course I am not promoting Keto, but I am suggesting a change in diet as part of your physical spring cleaning….Try a one week detox or an egg fast (this is the big thing now). Anything to get your body UN-stuck. Liquid cleanses are hard, but are great for cleansing those intestines and getting your digestive system moving. The beginning of these are always challenging as your body goes through withdrawal making you feel sluggish, but the benefits at the end are great.
Other little things you can do are more self care, face sheet masks, hot baths with Epsom salt help to shed water, and body scrubs for some of those dead skin cells. I’ve recently purchased some new products from Kiehls because I want to try some new face products as it seems my previous ones wern’t giving me the results I wanted anymore. Shampoos and conditioners are always a great place to start as well.
Once your home is decluttered, you need a happy invigorated body to enjoy it!!
This is my favorite of course, because in order to enjoy all of the above, you have to get your soul right. I find this especially important at this time of year. It’s like coming out of hibernation after a long winter’s sleep. I always have a variety of ways to do this.
The first thing I am doing is revamping my vision board. See what has shifted in my life, what needs more focus, what I’ve checked off, how I’ve grown. You can do this as a quiet Sunday project, get your materials, light some candles, meditate, reflect and visualize! Or you can have a vision board party and bring that collective energy into the room!
Secondly, I’ve also committed to journaling more frequently, right after I meditate for a few minutes in the morning. Many of us struggle with meditation. I did for a long time, until I heard Eckart Tolle say that all meditating is, is paying attention to the breath.
One conscious breath in and out is a meditation.
When we pay attention to the breath we bring ourselves back to the present and when you’re in the present everything changes. Try a guided meditation app if that helps. I have an Alexa at home so in the morning and evening I ask it to play a guided meditation for me. It’s a great way to start and end my day.
I’ve found all those cute canvas prints about love, positivity and spiritually and I placed them strategically in my home where I see them on a regular – in my bathroom wall opposite my mirror, right on my nightstand, in the kitchen next to the coffee area. These are just great reminders and act as daily affirmations to set up your day for success!
Lastly, pray. I know, I know. If anyone knows me I am not necessarily a religious person so this may come as a shock. But honestly I pray all day long. I give thanks, I express gratitude, I send blessings to everyone I meet, and I pray every single night. Prayer is grounding and as I’ve gotten older, I’ve finally stopped questioning the Universe and God. Because they always deliver.
Spring is a time for renewal and rebirth – I hope some of these tips help and hopefully you can share some I didn’t mention with me.
Happy Spring cleaning! Thanks for stopping by.